patients ask, How did chiropractic get started? Well, Chiropractic got
started in Davenport Iowa a little over 100 years ago. In 1895 a magnetic
healer as he was called, by the name of DD Palmer operated an office on
the corner of Second and Brady street in downtown Davenport. Dr. Palmer,
as he was known, noticed on that day the janitor who worked in his building
was nearly totally deaf.
was a black gentleman by the name of Harvey Lillard. Dr. Palmer examined
the area and noticed a bump which he determined to be a spinal vertebrae
out of position. It seemed that Harvey noticed this bump right after he
lost his hearing.
is uncertain as to whether it was one visit or several, but the result
was Harvey got his hearing back! From that point DD Palmer changed his
practice over to this new method of replacing bones that were out of position
and allowing people to heal.
Within two years
Dr. Palmer opened the first school of Chiropractic on Brady Street in
Davenport. It was his son Dr. BJ Palmer, who continued the school after
the death of DD. It is the son BJ, who is given credit today for growing
and developing the profession into what it has become today.